Many people going through a divorce or another family-related legal matter may feel alone and as if few people understand what they are going through. However, more people face family law cases on a regular basis than you may believe. As personal as these cases can be, they are relatively common in our court system and our attorneys have handled many cases involving a wide range of issues. The following are some statistics regarding family law cases in Connecticut courts.
From July 1, 2016, to June 30, 2017, the following statistics were reported for the entire state:
- Cases pending at the start of the period = 9,010
- Cases filed during the year = 28,899
- Existing cases transferred and prior cases reopened during the year = 442
- Cases disposed of during the year = 30,456
- Cases pending at the end of the period = 7,895
The following are the reported statistics specific to the Stamford area for the same time period:
- Cases pending at the start of the period = 677
- Cases filed during the year = 1,931
- Existing cases transferred and prior cases reopened during the year = 36
- Cases disposed of during the year = 1,963
- Cases pending at the end of the period = 681
As you can see, many family law cases pass through the courts in Connecticut on a regular basis. Our attorneys are regularly in court representing the rights of our clients in these matters.
A common question from people facing family-related cases is whether their case will require a trial in court. Consider the following:
- Of the 1,963 cases disposed of in Stamford, 1,188 cases required a trial
- Of the 30,456 cases disposed of in Connecticut, 15,039 cases required a trial
As you can see, a substantial amount of cases are resolved without the need for a trial, which can save you time, stress, and money. Cases can be resolved through mediation, out-of-court negotiation, and more. Our law firm always explores every opportunity to resolve your case in the most efficient manner possible. However, if a trial is needed in your situation, we are prepared to zealously represent you in court.
There are many types of cases heard by Connecticut family courts, including:
- Divorce, including property division and alimony issues
- Child custody and visitation
- Child support
- Judgment modification or enforcement
- Domestic violence
No matter what type of family law case you are facing, you need a highly experienced attorney handling your case who fully understands how the Connecticut family courts work.
Contact a Stamford Family Law Attorney for More Information
The Law Offices of Piazza, Simmons & Grant work to assist clients with family-related matters in and around the Stamford area. Our goal is to solve problems and make your case as easy as possible for you, as we understand the inherent stress and emotions that come with family cases. We have extensive experience in Connecticut courtrooms, as well as with other methods of dispute resolution. Please do not hesitate to call 203-348-2465 or contact us online to learn more today.