If you’re facing divorce, call 203-936-6772 at LAW OFFICES OF PIAZZA & SIMMONS, LLC to set up an initial consultation.

We are open for business in compliance with the State of Connecticut’s guidelines to ensure the safety of our employees and clients and to help stop the spread of COVID-19.

Guiding People Through Divorce With Grace And Dignity For More Than 30 Years

Guiding People Through Divorce With Grace And Dignity For More Than 30 Years

Collecting Child Support When The Other Parent Moves Out Of State

When you and your child’s other parent live in the same state, collecting child support can be relatively simple. If needed, you can enlist the help of a state agency such as the Connecticut Office of Child Support Services, which helps to enforce child support orders, collect funds, and distribute funds to receiving parents. However, what happens when the parent ordered to pay support decides to move to a different state?

Federal Laws Against Nonpayment Of Child Support

The law acknowledges that some parents may move to another state in an effort to avoid paying child support ordered in their home state. As a result, federal law makes it a crime not to pay child support for a child in a different state, if they fail to pay for one year or more than $5,000. It is also illegal to flee the state or country to avoid paying child support overdue for one year or over $5,000. A parent suspected of either act may then face federal criminal charges, which can result in a federal prison sentence.

Recovering Payments

Arresting and locking up a parent will rarely result in the other parent receiving the child support they deserve, however. Fortunately, other federal laws called the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) and the Child Support Recovery Act helps regulate interstate child support recovery.

If the Connecticut Support Enforcement Services Unit is already involved and making enforcement efforts in your case, it can continue to enforce your child support order across state lines under federal law. Some ways the Unit can collect from a parent who is out-of-state include:

  • Locating the parent if they did not disclose a new address
  • Filing for income withholding with their new out-of-state employer
  • Obtaining real estate liens on out-of-state property
  • Seizing financial assets
  • Referring the case for federal prosecution if other enforcement methods did not work

In some cases, the Unit will register your child support order in the parent’s new state, so the child support agency in that state can also make enforcement efforts. Interstate support agencies regularly work together in these situations. If you do not yet have a case open with the Support Enforcement Services Unit, you can contact the Department of Social Services to open an interstate support case.

Collecting child support across state lines can be complicated, but the law is on your side. Seek help from an experienced child support lawyer if you are unsure what to do next.

Contact Our Stamford Family Law Attorneys For Assistance

Many complications can arise when it comes to receiving the child support you deserve. Many people fail to take action and assume that they will never see those funds. However, there are steps you can take whether the other parent is in-state or out-of-state. At the LAW OFFICES OF PIAZZA & SIMMONS, LLC, our family lawyers handle complicated child support cases, from the initial order to enforcement to modification, if needed. Call 203-936-6772 or contact us online to schedule a consultation today.