Connecticut Family Law Attorneys Discuss Divorce Without Attorneys
Divorcing couples often wonder if they need to hire Connecticut family law attorneys to handle their legal separation or divorce. The answer is couples can sometimes handle the divorce proceedings on their own. However, if your divorce is going to be complex, it may be in both of your best interests to hire Connecticut family law attorneys to help consult when it is needed.
When It Makes Sense To Handle The Divorce Without Legal Help
If you and your spouse cannot afford to hire a divorce lawyer, then it may make sense to handle the divorce on your own. Especially if the divorce will not be complicated and complex. If you and your spouse are cooperative with each other and have no conflicts, then handling the divorce on your own should work out. If you are looking for a do-it-yourself divorce, then you will need to fit the following criteria:
- There is no history of domestic violence between you two.
- You have been married for a short period of time.
- You share no children, or if you do then you have worked out a custody arrangement together.
- Neither party is seeking alimony or spousal support from each other.
- If you do not share any complicated investments such as real estate or a business.
- There is no pension or retirement plan to share with each other.
- All property to be split has been agreed upon by both parties.
The spouse who is handling all the paperwork to be filed will need to be detail-oriented and able to follow the deadlines needed to turn in the paperwork. It is easy to find information online in regards to divorce in your state. This will help you understand the paperwork. However, an experienced Connecticut family law attorney can help you navigate these waters much more easily.
Contact Our Connecticut Family Law Attorneys
For an experienced professional, contact your local Connecticut family law attorneys today from the LAW OFFICES OF PIAZZA & SIMMONS, LLC at 203-936-6772.